Led by Aaron Brinen, PsyD, this experiential workshop covers the theory, empirical-basis, strategies, and interventions of cognitive behavior therapy for patients with schizophrenia. Topics include client engagement; conceptualization; treatment planning based upon goal setting, attainment, and tracking; addressing symptoms, behavioral activation and working with patients who have cognitive impairments, low insight, and/or low motivation for treatment.
Day 1: Cognitive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Introduction and overview of CT
- Cognitive model of negative symptoms (low motivation, asociality, flat affect, alogia)
- Cognitive model of positive symptoms (thought disorder; hallucinations; paranoid, persecutory, control, and grandiose delusions)
- Conceptualizing individual clients with schizophrenia
- Adjusting therapy for neurocognitive deficits
- Talking with clients about delusions and hallucinations
- Adjusting therapy for low clinical insight
- Experiential exercises, case presentations
Day 2: CT for Schizophrenia: Engagement and Behavioral Activation Phases
- Engagement of clients with schizophrenia
- Goal setting, achievement, and progress monitoring
- Activity monitoring and scheduling
- Graded task assignment
- Coping strategies
- Incorporating cognitive remediation and social skills training
- Behavioral experiments
Day 3: CT for Schizophrenia: Cognitive Change, Maintenance, and Treatment Course
- Strategy and techniques for changing key beliefs in schizophrenia
- Maintenance phase: consolidation of skills learning and relapse prevention
- Structure of the session
- Adapting to shorter sessions
- Course of treatment
- Action plans
- Starting CT for schizophrenia
Trainees receive a letter verifying participation in this program.
To request accommodations for disabilities or to address grievances, please contact Allie Jessar at 610-664-3020 ext 235 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For hotel and travel assistance, contact our travel team online or via phone at (919) 336-4126 x3.
There are two hotels within walking distance of the Beck Institute with special rates available. The Hilton City Avenue is directly across the street, and the Courtyard Philadelphia City Avenue (formerly the Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West) is about a ten-minute walk from Beck Institute. The Courtyard also offers a shuttle to Beck Institute trainees that will take you to and from our office each morning and afternoon.
To read more about this event, click the button below.