Led by Amy Wenzel, Ph.D., this three-day workshop focuses on fundamental cognitive behavior theory and treatment for anxiety disorders. Participants will learn how to conceptualize anxious patients, plan treatment based on the individualized conceptualization, engage the anxious patient in the therapeutic relationship, decrease physiological symptoms of anxiety and increase functional behavior. They will learn how to use evidence-based cognitive and behavioral strategies to help patients identify and respond adaptively to key anxious thoughts and beliefs, restructure maladaptive cognitions and catastrophic misinterpretations, develop exposure hierarchies, build symptom tolerance, eliminate safety behaviors, increase tolerance for uncertainty, and reduce obsessions, compulsions, and avoidance.
3 Days, Mon-Wed: 8:45am – 4:00pm
Beck Institute | Directions
The workshop features a special question-and-answer and role-play session with Dr. Aaron Beck. Participants are encouraged to prepare or have in mind cases for discussion or role-play
Day 1: Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Anxiety
- Introduction and overview of CBT for anxiety
- The cognitive model of anxiety
- Conceptualizing individual clients
- Core strategies in CBT for anxiety: selfmonitoring
- Core strategies in CBT for anxiety: cognitive restructuring
- Core strategies in CBT for anxiety: exposure
Day 2: CBT for Anxiety
- Cognitive behavioral therapy of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy of social phobia
Day 3: CBT for Anxiety
- Cognitive behavioral therapy of panic disorder
- Cognitive behavioral therapy of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
Trainees receive a letter verifying participation in this program.
To request accommodations for disabilities or to address grievances, please contact Lauren Grove at 610-664-3020 ext 235 or email email@example.com
For hotel and travel assistance, contact our travel team online or via phone at (919) 336-4126 x3.
There are two hotels within walking distance of the Beck Institute. The Hilton City Avenue is directly across the street, and the Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West is three walkable blocks away. The Crowne Plaza also offers a shuttle to Beck Institute trainees that will take you to and from our office each morning and afternoon. When you register for a workshop, you will be provided with information to book your room at the “Beck Institute Rate.”
To read more about this event, click the button below.