This workshop, taught by Norman Cotterell, PhD, will focus on the cognitive conceptualization and treatment of anger. We will explore the risks and potential benefits of anger, and we will identify ways to intervene with the triggers, beliefs, thoughts, emotions, rationalizations, and maladaptive strategies associated with it. This workshop offers a practical transdiagnostic model useful in planning treatment and selecting interventions with episodes of anger. And it provides workshop participants opportunities to practice these tools, applying them to help their clients gain control over their actions.
8:45-10:30 – What is Anger?
10:30-10:40 – Break
10:40-12:00 – Cost and Benefits of Anger
12:00-1:00 – Lunch
1-2:20 – 7 Points of Intervention
2:20-2:30 – Break
2:30-4:00 – Practice and Role plays
- Analyze episodes of anger.
- Assess and compare the positive and negative aspects of anger
- List 7 points of intervention in episodes of anger
- Distinguish anger from aggression.
- Identify common core beliefs underlying anger.
- Identify common maladaptive strategies in using anger.
- Select tools to help patients intervene with such beliefs and strategies.
Travel and Hotel Information
For hotel and travel assistance, contact our travel team online or via phone at (919) 336-4126 x3.
There are two hotels within walking distance of the Beck Institute with special rates available. The Hilton City Avenue is directly across the street, and the Courtyard Philadelphia City Avenue (formerly the Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West) is about a ten-minute walk from Beck Institute. The Courtyard also offers a shuttle to Beck Institute trainees that will take you to and from our office each morning and afternoon.