Led by Amy Wenzel, Ph.D., this three-day workshop focuses on fundamental cognitive behavior theory and treatment for anxiety disorders. Participants will learn how to conceptualize anxious patients, plan treatment based on the individualized conceptualization, engage the anxious patient in the therapeutic relationship, decrease physiological symptoms of anxiety and increase functional behavior. They will learn how to use evidence-based cognitive and behavioral strategies to help patients identify and respond adaptively to key anxious thoughts and beliefs, restructure maladaptive cognitions and catastrophic misinterpretations, develop exposure hierarchies, build symptom tolerance, eliminate safety behaviors, increase tolerance for uncertainty, and reduce obsessions, compulsions, and avoidance.
3 Days, Mon-Wed: 8:45am – 4:00pm
Beck Institute | Directions
The workshop features a special question-and-answer and role-play session with Dr. Aaron Beck. Participants are encouraged to prepare or have in mind cases for discussion or role-play
Day 1: Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Anxiety
- Introduction and overview of CBT for anxiety
- The cognitive model of anxiety
- Conceptualizing individual clients
- Core strategies in CBT for anxiety: selfmonitoring
- Core strategies in CBT for anxiety: cognitive restructuring
- Core strategies in CBT for anxiety: exposure
Day 2: CBT for Anxiety
- Cognitive behavioral therapy of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy of social phobia
Day 3: CBT for Anxiety
- Cognitive behavioral therapy of panic disorder
- Cognitive behavioral therapy of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
For hotel and travel assistance, contact our travel team online or via phone at (919) 336-4126 x3.
There are two hotels within walking distance of the Beck Institute with special rates available. The Hilton City Avenue is directly across the street, and the Courtyard Philadelphia City Avenue (formerly the Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West) is about a ten-minute walk from Beck Institute. The Courtyard also offers a shuttle to Beck Institute trainees that will take you to and from our office each morning and afternoon.
To read more about this event, click the button below.